You may be eligible to sponsor your parents or grandparents, spouse, partner or dependent children to become permanent residents of Canada if you are able to financially support them and make sure they don't receive social assistance from the government. 

A. Sponsor Parents and Grandparents 

Update on 2020 Parents and Grandparents Program (Ottawa, March 27, 2020)

To ensure that Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has sufficient time to complete the development of a new intake process for the 2020 Parents and Grandparents Program, the reopening of the program will be postponed until Ministerial Instructions are issued.

This means that the opportunity to express interest in sponsoring a parent or grandparent will not take place on January 1, 2020. Further information about the expected launch date and 2020 intake process will be available in the new year.

B. Sponsor your sponse, partner or dependent child

1. Eligibility

You can sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child if:

  • You’re at least 18 years old

  • You’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act

    • If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.

    • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada.

  • You’re able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability

  • you can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor

The people you'are sponsoring must provide all requested forms and documents with their application and other additional procedures during processing, including medical exams and biometrics.

When you apply, you’ll have to complete and sign a form which contains the undertaking and the sponsorship agreement.

Income requirement

On most occasions, there isn’t an income requirement to sponsor your spouse or partner or dependent child. You only need to show that you have sufficient fund to meet the income requirements if:

  • you’re sponsoring a dependent child that has 1 or more dependent children of their own, or

  • you’re sponsoring a spouse or partner that has a dependent child, and their dependent child has 1 or more children of their own.

You will need to fill in the Financial Evaluation form.

If you live in Quebec

You must meet Quebec’s immigration sponsorship requirements after being approved as a sponsor and sign an undertaking with the province of Quebec. The Quebec ministry in charge of immigration will assess your income.

2. Important points

(1)Generally, the processing time of sponsoring someone who lives outside of Canada is faster, which applies to the case of couples apart from each other. First the application will be reviewed at CPC-Missauga, then distributed to Hong Kong Embassy. Generally it takes around 1 year. 

  (2) If the sponsorship is inside Canada, the processing time will be longer around 2-3 years, which applies to couples who are in Canada. Note that even if couples reside in Canada, couples may require to submit application to the embassy outside Canada to faster up the application. After submitting the application inside Canada, people being sponsored may apply for open-work permit. 

  (3) Fees (2020)

Sponsor a spouse, partner: $1,050 ; a child:   $150

Source: Government of Canada